Seasonal Salads

If you're like me, and I imagine millions of other people, you probably struggle to get your daily recommended intake of vegetables. The thing is, vegetables are so easy to eat, they're basically fast food.. just rinse and eat! If taste is your problem.. then look no further, I've included a few delicious options/varieties to choose from when making a salad. Personal opinion is, the more stuff crammed on top/in a salad.. the better!! Especially fruit.. fruit makes salads fun ;)

Spring/summer salads:

 This delicious salad I got at a local restaurant. It had mixed greens, strawberry, blueberry, goat cheese, granola (weird at first but it grew on me) and some nuts. Topped with a raspberry wine vinaigrette. So much yum! You can hardly tell you're eating a salad when theres yummy toppings on it!


This ones an easy at home option when you're strapped for time. Throw some cottage cheese, blueberries and strawberry vinaigrette on a bed of spinach and you have yourself a quick and easy meal!

Another one of my go-to salads is a bunch of mixed greens (spinach, arugula, lettuce, kale, etc), topped with crunchy onion bits (available at grocery stores in the salad/cruton section), pumpkin seeds, almond slivers and any kind of fruit. (Note: peaches, mandarin oranges, pineapple, you would be surprised how good this is!) Maybe not bananas though.. ;)
I top it with poppyseed avocado dressing (my current favourite!)

Bonus: add a side of some grilled asparagus (with sea salt and olive oil!!) and sweet potato fries for a perfect meal, full of veggies!

Fall/winter salad:
When fall comes, apples begin to be in season. I really enjoy adding apples to my salads, it adds a nice juicy crunch. I also like to add cranberries (dried if its easier), corn and even rice on top. I call these ones my harvest salads.
Sometimes, chickpeas or beans are a good option too, I've even created a mexican taco flavoured salad, with crisps, beans, spicy cheese and santa fe sauce before. Get creative!
With a couple extra easy ingredients, you can go from a bland bed of lettuce, to a delicious combination of flavours, all while getting in your veggies.

Now excuse me while I go an make a salad, haha :)

Stay healthy friends,
The Rural Runner
NewerStories OlderStories Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment