On Setting Goals

We've all been there, in a rut, unsure where to go or how to move forward. Sometimes just the motivation needed is goal setting. Having something important to you as a goal to work toward is a great way to push yourself to get shit done. Constantly writing down or seeing your goals will put a renewed perspective on what's important in your life. I have many goals that I keep written on notes saved on my phone. Once or twice a week I'll read over my personal goals to refresh my mind on what I want to accomplish, not just with running and races, but with life as well. Everything you do should be an investment into your future. If you're putting in work and are not gaining anything from it, then it's time to do some reevaluating. Goal setting can be just what you need to wake up everyday determined and motivated.

Here are some of my tips on setting goals:
1. Make them realistic and attainable.
Sure, I would like to be the Queen of Canada.. But we all know that's not gonna happen, nor is it realistic. Having goals that you can accomplish gives you that little push you need to work harder and actually achieve it. I'm not saying make the easiest goals ever, because what would be the point, but instead, make it hard enough that you have to work for it, but it's still attainable.

2. Write it down and keep it organized.
Having a written record of your goals will help you to keep track of them. When I write down my goals, I sort them into long term and short term goals. This helps determine potential deadlines and decide what I want to accomplish within a year or what I want in 2, 5, 10 years etc. My goals that are more easily attainable, such as running a sub 25 minute 5k or only eating meat on Mondays.. These are included in my short term goals, where as a sub 2:00 half marathon or full vegetarian diet would be on my long term list. These are things that will take a bit more work but that can definitely be achieved. Other things on my long term list are races like the Disney marathon, where I know it's not just training involved, but I'll have to save money for a while to be able to afford to travel there.

3. Review your goals at least each month.
Going over your goals is a great way to notice any changes you may want to make or any new goals you want to add. This also helps remind you of where you need to go and what you need to work on to accomplish your goals. For example, seeing my goal of running a marathon internationally, reminds me how important it is for me to save money.. and maybe I don't really need to buy those cute shoes if running that marathon is the bigger picture and my long term goal. Keep focused and on track by refreshing your memory of your goals every month or so.
This is me at the top of Cape Split, had a goal to run the entire hiking trail (just over 16km). This was my first long run. Foggy eh! It's high up just off the water with a magnificent view of the Bay of Fundy (when it's clear skies) and is a gorgeous hike up through dense forest and vegetation.
Funny how I thought 16 km was the longest run ever, where I now have a long term goal of a 50km ultra run. This is why it's so important to review your goals, especially when you accomplish one, so you can move on to bigger things.. Keep making new goals and never stop improving.
4. Work for it!
You're not going to accomplish that sub 2 hour half marathon by sitting your ass on the coach day in and day out! If you know your goals, you've written them down and reminded yourself why they're important, now it's time to put in the actual work. You don't get better at running hills by walking them.. So get out there and climb that damn mountain and accomplish your goals.

This is my dad and I on my graduation day, it took 4 years of hard work to get my nursing degree, but it was definitely worth it. This was such a proud moment in my life, knowing all that hard work paid off. There were times where I having a rough go and thought I would never accomplish my goal and graduate from university, but I stuck it out, embraced the struggle and pushed on. Keep your goals in sight and put in that work, eventually your dreams will become a reality.
Keep setting those goals friends,
The Rural Runner





NewerStories OlderStories Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment